Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-A Minecraft Server-

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Might shut down the server.

Go down 
+7
Ravenxis
Qintuo
viperhawk2k4
KrisTea79
Imauser
BlackyBear00
thedevlin
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
thedevlin
Admin

Might shut down the server. Empty
PostSubject: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 1:13 am

If anyone wants to start their own server to keep the community together I can send you the map so there's no need to restart. Otherwise the server will be closed by Oct 21st.
It's been fun. Take care, everyone.
Back to top Go down
https://prospectmc.canadian-forum.com
BlackyBear00
Paper Boy
BlackyBear00

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 1:36 am

sorry to see the server go had a lot of fun on this server . anyone know a good vanilla server that is accepting applicants?
Back to top Go down
Imauser
Master

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 12:17 pm

Oh, that's unfortunate. At least you'll have some more free time now.

It would be a shame if this ended here, so do we want to vote and determine who will run the server?
Back to top Go down
KrisTea79
Journeyman
KrisTea79

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 7:27 pm

Wow this is not the news I wanted see on here! I have honestly been worried about this happening though. Breaks my minecraft heart actually Sad
I'm wondering the reasoning? The obvious? Time constraints, low numbers of players, lack of donators to offset the costs?
Me and War are offering to pay for the monthly server costs...the maintenance, such as updates and such is the harder part. Its more of our level of capability and intellect for that part and not so much the time it would take.
Myself and the family have always thought of this server as home and can't fathom the idea of it being gone!
Back to top Go down
viperhawk2k4
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 10:06 pm

?????????????? wth? the server going down? kris if you guys can keep the server going i have no problem helping out. on the other hand why? i love this server from the start, this server has survived alot of stuff and me and vasteel have been here through them all

please dont let this server go down. Sad
Back to top Go down
Qintuo
Paper Boy

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 3:37 am

Sad to see it go. I think this is the 3rd server I've ever played on, Fiddy's being the second and some random server being the first. I stuck with fiddy till harvestcraft and guess i'm here to the end for dev. Sounds like you've made up your mind, hope you still play the MC even though you dont run the server.

I enjoyed both the vanilla and random server. I'll stick around if others are. It's hard to find a good server.
Back to top Go down
BlackyBear00
Paper Boy
BlackyBear00

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 11:14 am

id love to stay I hope you can talk dev into giving you the server kris I don't relish the idea of being server homless so to speak . single player is good but lonely.
Back to top Go down
thedevlin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 2:02 pm

There are a few reasons why I don't feel like running the server. Part of it is the cost and lack of time to keep the place updated and in working order, but mostly it's just not fun for me anymore. I'm not bored of minecraft, not at all, but dealing with any conflict between players, or spending hours unsuccessfully trying to fix a small issue with plugins can be a bit demotivating and leaves me no time to enjoy the game for myself.

Anyways, if you guys are really willing to pay for the server costs, I'm sure we can work something out.
The only issue then would be bringing in new players and the maintenance part unless everyone is willing to get rid of bukkit and the plugins and just have a vanilla server. Or even a snapshot server would be simple. Just something to think about.

I don't like the idea of the server being shut down either, but as I said above, the server'll be here until Oct 21st. I'm positive that we'll work something out long before then.
Back to top Go down
KrisTea79
Journeyman
KrisTea79

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 2:27 pm

So this has clearly been a hot topic in our house! War and I figure that if all else fails we will start and run a pure vanilla server that would be whitelisted. This avoids all the bullshit that comes with a bukkit server and the updating, etc. We will pay for it (I know there has been some serious offers to help with the cost and that is great!). From when we were talking last night, we would put up a perimeter to mark out the area that we would be willing to load per update (no bukkit means no plugin to do so). As there would be no lockette we would all have to agree to keep the community alive by not taking from each other. Dev if you're willing to run the server this way, then my family is willing to help in whatever way we can including the costs. I feel like I'm babbling now...so people your turn to talk. Let's get our community together and come up with a solution that means we get to stay together!
Back to top Go down
BlackyBear00
Paper Boy
BlackyBear00

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 6:24 pm

im willing to go completely vanilla no lockette or iconimy would be a loss but livable we have ender chests for keeping dimond and really important stuff if we want to make sure no one grabs our sftuff im pretty surewe can trust the people of our server not to steal . nad we can work out other methods of shop creation if we want . id prefer no snapshop server personally I like getting everything when its polished and not buggy but that just me .
Back to top Go down
Imauser
Master

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 7:10 pm

It looks like the current issues are:

1. Community - Is it worth it to keep the server going in the first place? Is there enough interest to make the revival worthwhile?
2. Advertising - Since the community has been quiet, do we want to advertise and bring more players, or whitelist the ones we have now?
3. Plugins - Which ones are worth keeping? Do we want to keep it plugin-free?
4. Plugin Maintenance - Who else is able to help fix the plugins?
5. Ownership -In the event dev does not want to continue, who should take over?

My thoughts:

1. Though the server has been quiet, judging from this thread, people do not want it to end. Also, we've lost people when we switched to a new map. I don't want to lose my builds again. Downloading the map and playing single player just isn't the same; it's too lonely. Therefore, I like having the server up, as I can interact with others.

2. I'll only support advertising if we have the protection plugins. It would be nice to see some more players.

3. I don't see the need for protection plugins if the server is just the community. Thing is, when the server was whitelisted a while back, it caused some backlash.

4. If dev is the only one and he does not want to do it, we'll have to go without them. I'm willing to learn how plugins work, but I can't guarantee anything.

5. Off the top of my head, I know naz, atra and nere have experience with servers. But from the ones still around, kris and war have experience. Anyone else? I'd prefer it if we stuck to the current map. I remember this map was created with a limited radius in mind, to save space for future updates. There's no need to start a new map.
Back to top Go down
viperhawk2k4
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 8:07 pm

i agree ima. i would like to have the server stay the same, border and map. no need to start a new one.
Back to top Go down
Ravenxis
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 8:53 pm

Well I'am new to the server and would like to say its great being here and i would hate to see it go.
I understand why it may happen. has I told Kristea and war i would be willing also to help with costs and even help run the server. I have no clue on how the plug-ins work but i can learn.
I do like having some of the plug-ins and if we do bring in new players ( which is always good in most case's) having some of thoses plug-ins would be the best way to go. Just never know who might log in for the first time and go through ppl's chests and clean them out. Ya stuff can be fixed but that would be a pain in the ass.
I do know a few people and I'am trying to get some new players to join the server, and seeing from the next update. I could see people logging in more to check out the new stuff.
I really hope things get worked out and we all can save the server or start a new one with the same map being used.
Take care
Steven
AKA Ravenxis
Back to top Go down
Imauser
Master

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 10:14 pm

It looks like most people are willing to go full vanilla, although bringing in new players would make it even more worthwhile.

How about we start by removing all the plugins that are unrelated to griefing protection? That way, we can invite newer players while reducing the likelihood of a plugin malfunction. If it doesn't work out, we'll go full vanilla minecraft.

bChatManager
bPermissions
Essentials
EssentialsSpawn

iConomy
Lockette
Logblock (rollback griefing and chest contents)
TreasureChest
VanishNoPacket (spy on potential griefers)
Vault
WorldBorder (Limits how far you can explore, unsure if you can do that in vanilla)
WorldEdit
WorldGuard (control fire spread, mob griefing)

Plugins highlighted in blue are my suggestions to keep. Red plugins mean I don't know how they'd affect the server. I looked them up and it's going over my head. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
viperhawk2k4
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 2:26 am

i like the idea sofar ima.

i would like to know if i keep my "mod" status?
Back to top Go down
atralupis
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 2:08 pm

Imauser wrote:
It looks like most people are willing to go full vanilla, although bringing in new players would make it even more worthwhile.

How about we start by removing all the plugins that are unrelated to griefing protection? That way, we can invite newer players while reducing the likelihood of a plugin malfunction. If it doesn't work out, we'll go full vanilla minecraft.

bChatManager
bPermissions
Essentials
EssentialsSpawn

iConomy
Lockette
Logblock (rollback griefing and chest contents)
TreasureChest
VanishNoPacket (spy on potential griefers)
Vault
WorldBorder (Limits how far you can explore, unsure if you can do that in vanilla)
WorldEdit
WorldGuard (control fire spread, mob griefing)

Plugins highlighted in blue are my suggestions to keep. Red plugins mean I don't know how they'd affect the server. I looked them up and it's going over my head. Thoughts?
World Edit is required by World Guard to function. Essentials is the plugin system that allows the use of the /home command, among others. EssentialsSpawn is a plugin system that allows for better managment of the spawnpoint (spawn points on some servers), bPermissions is what limits command and function access by user role, bChatManager is that niftly plugin which allows for more text formatting choices as well as nick name integration.

Logblock could be replaced by Prism - which is, from what i have seen of it - far superior.

A tip - if you do not understand how a plugin functions, it is best to use a test server to gather first hand information and experience.

On a far more personal level, I have not bothered to really log into the current map simply because I have gotten tired of having to restart projects for no bloody reason whatsoever. I've stuck around for as long as I have simply because I enjoyed the company and that overrode any annoyance I had over having work essentially thrown in the trash when there is a "major" update. The last one prior to 1.5 required the erasure of the Nether due to a few bugs that had been reported on servers which had simply updated their software - resulting in anyone who had any sort of project there needing to rebuild. That one was unavoidable.

1.6 added in a new mob (or two) and a few new storage blocks - it really did not require a map reset. I had hoped to be able to archive the 1.5 era map and either host it for nostalgia junkies or at the least finish my projects before moving on to a new map. No, I do not like abandoning a project and starting over from scratch every few updates - I don't play Minecraft or join servers to see work made pointless and projects left unfinished.

The only copy of the map I do have - taken when I was acting as an archivist for the server - contains a corrupted region file, utterly destroying some of the work I had sought to preserve in addition to it being fairly old.

I am angry, depressed and discouraged. I am only responding now to at the least ensure that Prospect, even if it does so without me, lives on with as few issues as possible.
Back to top Go down
Mtndewrulez3
Paper Boy

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 8:48 pm

Allo. Guess I should chime in since I'm sort of one of the people who hasn't been on in recent weeks.

I haven't been on, well, due to school and swimming really, not due to the server. The only reason that's kept me from coming on is just a lack in players. Mainly since Xion has had computer problems, I've always been alone when going on. I like servers because I can show my work to others. When I'm building on the server, while it's fun, due to lack in people, I find myself saying "Wait, who am I building for anyways?" Which leads to my second point.

If we keep plugins, we need to advertise, which I've been pushing for a while.

I also think we could use some community events like the cake thing that I missed, and hunger games like we used to.

That's my two cents so far. I really hope someone can keep the server running. I'll send the KrisLock family a Christmas card as thanks like I was supposed to last year, hehe.
Back to top Go down
Imauser
Master

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 12:09 am

Okay, thanks for your insight, atra. This plugin business is more complicated than I thought. I'm sorry to hear about your builds. It's completely understandable, but hopefully you still have the motivation to return one day.

Based on recent input, it appears as if we've come to the following conclusions:

-Do not start a new map
-Kris and war will facilitate the funding, with other people chipping in.
-Advertise the server
-No advertising without plugins
-If plugins aren't possible, go full vanilla

On that note, is anyone willing to help advertise the server? Advertising seems so simple now, compared to plugin maintenance. I'll give it a shot; I'll just take a look at past advertisements and base it off that.
Back to top Go down
atralupis
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 5:13 pm

No problem Ima. Having run a semi-private server before, I know a bit about plugins, how they work and some of the dependencies.
Back to top Go down
thedevlin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 11:16 pm

Imauser wrote:

Based on recent input, it appears as if we've come to the following conclusions:

-Do not start a new map
-Kris and war will facilitate the funding, with other people chipping in.
-Advertise the server
-No advertising without plugins
-If plugins aren't possible, go full vanilla

On that note, is anyone willing to help advertise the server? Advertising seems so simple now, compared to plugin maintenance. I'll give it a shot; I'll just take a look at past advertisements and base it off that.
So I'm thinking we'll go with as few plugins as possible with the few being lockette, worldborder, vanish, and logblock. These take zero work to maintain, so they're simple enough. I can prevent fire spread and mob griefing without plugins now, so that won't be a problem.  Unless everyone would prefer to go vanilla and whitelist, but we need the border until 1.7.

The map will stay the same, so nobody will lose work. Unfortunately, to answer Viper, there'll be no mods or creative mode or fly or anything. You'll be back to a normal dude just like the rest of us.

Oh, and one more thing. I might get them to change our IP one more time so we don't have to move anymore.

I think that's about everything settled. If there's anything I'm missing, do tell. I'll probably get all this done sometime this weekend if I get the chance.
Back to top Go down
atralupis
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 12:52 am

The /gamerule command parameters for fire spread control and mob griefing are good alternatives to World Guard, but bear in mind that doFireTick is STILL a bit unstable and can cause the occasional crash/slow down. The mobGriefing parameter works well enough, I have yet to see it cause a crash.

Without a permission system (and I can understand the desire to remove it, trust me) you'd have to op yourself in the server OP.txt file Dev. Otherwise you, nor any other server administrator can alter a single thing while on the server through the Minecraft client. Honestly, as much of a pain as it is to make and maintain a permission system file .... in the end, it is worth the effort.

More later. Time for some Advil.
Back to top Go down
atralupis
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 6:14 am

Ah - remembered something: Anyone needing access to logblock (or any similar system) in the absence of a permission system, would also need to be added to the OP list. Meaning they'd have total control as well.

Ditto anyone needing access to Vanish no Packet.
Back to top Go down
KrisTea79
Journeyman
KrisTea79

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 7:40 pm

All of this sounds great Dev. Thanks for working together with all of us to come up with a solution!
Back to top Go down
viperhawk2k4
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 9:31 pm

i can deal with tht dev . no worrrys just trying to get spawn done til th change if everyone hasnt seen spawn check it out it was just a question dev and kris. this is good news guys we keep the server going Smile

Back to top Go down
viperhawk2k4
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 9:33 pm

nut the part about me not mod anymore kinda sux tho
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Might shut down the server.   Might shut down the server. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Might shut down the server.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next