Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-A Minecraft Server-

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rumor of a new map.....................

Go down 
+5
Luniria
KrisTea79
Jeffmanguy
Mtndewrulez3
viperhawk2k4
9 posters
AuthorMessage
viperhawk2k4
Apprentice

Rumor of a new map..................... Empty
PostSubject: Rumor of a new map.....................   Rumor of a new map..................... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 10:51 pm

Dev, hi, it seems there is talk of a new map when we go to 1.5. Is there a change in the map code? If not, Me personally would vote for keeping this map. kris was just on and we talked, we need to clean up the spwn area and finish it.
And some of us have spent alot of time and resorces buiding. Yes i'm including me! Smile i've flown all around this map just to explore it, no hax jjust cuase im a "king" its a perk. the map is awsome, there has been so many spots where i thought......shit i could've built something there. so if we go to a vote about a new map.......
I vote NO.
My opinion....
Back to top Go down
Mtndewrulez3
Paper Boy

PostSubject: Re: Rumor of a new map.....................   Rumor of a new map..................... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 11:07 pm

Here here! I too, vote no!
Back to top Go down
Jeffmanguy

PostSubject: Re: Rumor of a new map.....................   Rumor of a new map..................... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 11:48 pm

Vipers right, people keep complaining about to much random stuff around the world, but theres so much empty space to build. The problem is people are to lazy to go far to find new lands. And i vote no new map.
Back to top Go down
http://(Email)- Jeffmanguy@yahoo.com
KrisTea79
Journeyman
KrisTea79

PostSubject: Re: Rumor of a new map.....................   Rumor of a new map..................... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 11:50 pm

I've had time to think about a new map coming and I'm a little upset. But at the same time I know I don't play as much as i used to so I haven't really said much. I was talking with War this morning and he made a good point to me. I know this might ruffle a few feathers but i'll share anyways tongue
There are a few players that have built great, enormous buildings and I feel that in the end they should be the ones whose vote actually matters. I say this because the bigger buildings and castles are a lot harder to replace and take a lot more time. Most of these buildings are not even finished and it feels like a tragedy to move on before they are or shortly after they are finished.
I do understand the idea behind a new map though, with the intentions of creating a team moral and such but i think we should make an honest effort to do that on this map first. Or as an idea, those truely against a new map to gather together and try to make the suggestions and ideas intended for a new map on this map. Maybe that will start the team moral here instead?
I know we had tried this before and it didn't seem to work but i also feel that a lot of personnal things were going on amoungst some of the regular players that it started to fall away. Could we try again before a new map? Whats everyones ideas? Opinions?
Back to top Go down
Mtndewrulez3
Paper Boy

PostSubject: Re: Rumor of a new map.....................   Rumor of a new map..................... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 12:56 am

Something we didn't talk about on the server tonight Dev.
In a time of low attendance, we shouldn't risk losing more players to a map change.
Back to top Go down
Luniria
Paper Boy
Luniria

PostSubject: New map   Rumor of a new map..................... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 1:42 am

After some deliberation, I'm leaning towards a new map, myself. Although, I've been wondering. If we DID switch to a new map, how would each of you feel comfortable with it? Perhaps 1 or 2 buildings of your own that you deem worthy being switched to the new map? What if we compiled 1 or 2 double chests of materials for each of you to take with you? Or even the money that you have in your bank right now? I'd look forward to a brand new start, and yet still being able to rely on an old build that I made ages past.
Back to top Go down
http://luniria.deviantart.com/
Mtndewrulez3
Paper Boy

PostSubject: Re: Rumor of a new map.....................   Rumor of a new map..................... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 1:45 am

Luniria wrote:
Perhaps 1 or 2 buildings of your own that you deem worthy being switched to the new map? \

Only 2? Sad
Back to top Go down
thedevlin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rumor of a new map.....................   Rumor of a new map..................... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 8:08 am

As I've said before I'll go with whatever everyone else is cool with. I'm just here to offer the chance, explain my reasonings -which appear to be a bit misunderstood at this moment- and try to make either decision easy on everyone.

If I did have a say in the matter, however, I would place my vote in the new map category.
My main concerns are these.

#1. If we're going to make another shot at advertising and bringing new members into the server, I feel as if they'd be more likely to stick around if the server has a fresh map. It's not a matter of materials or space to build, the map has waay more than enough space. This isn't a very convincing reason, I just doubt people's willingness to travel far enough to find suitable land.

#2. Some people are simply bored of this map and are looking forward to a fresh start. I can tell them to move somewhere far away and start anew, but there's no way for me to force them. As I said in the start of this post, I'm trying to make either decision work for everyone, so what am I to do when I have to sets of people wanting opposing things?
I know a common response is "well they're never here anyways, so they shouldn't matter" Well.. Maybe there's a reason they're never around?

#3. The map is huge. So huge, in fact, that the server can't hold a backup of it. I know Atra's been keeping backups, but last I heard, they were broken backups. Have you found a way to fix that, Atra? If something happened to the map, people would lose everything they've done if they live on the wrong side of the map.
And adding to that. The map isn't even half explored. If we start advertising and the map fills up, I'm afraid the map will be too large for the server and again, we would lose it, and everyone would start anew with nothing at all. So I'm offering everyone a chance to bring a few things along while we still have the chance, and let me create a smaller map next time to prevent these problems from arising again.

Anyways, yeah. Feel free to argue these points, I'm sure there's things I'm not even considering when writing this (it's 5am and I really want to sleep) so I'm interested in hearing what everyone's thoughts are.

Thanks for reading and good night!

Back to top Go down
https://prospectmc.canadian-forum.com
atralupis
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Rumor of a new map.....................   Rumor of a new map..................... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:41 am

The break in the map is consistent with each backup made. It is always region file 7.4 (if I remember correctly) - the file which contains the southern half of the spawn zone and a rather large patch of land beyond it which includes Ferrit's sky lands (some of it) and a good portion of the tram to Winterfall.

I am unsure as to the cause of this however: It is not like a traditional corrupted chunk in that it does not cause any major read errors (and does not eject anyone from the game/server upon entering/being near the affected areas), It's almost as if the data for those blocks was never written at all - which is impossible since we can see the blocks.

This isn't a result of using Multi-verse either. The error types from unstable versions of Multi-verse/failed region writes while using multi-verse are far more severe than what I'm seeing here and range from chunks not having any smooth stone in them to total region corruption.

I'll be making another backup sometime today and testing it again.

As far as a new map goes .... I've noticed that there are some people who tire of a map literally within a week of it going up. There are some who do not like the idea of carrying any materials or buildings over onto a new map. some, like me, prefer a map to remain up for as long as possible and prefer to carry things over if a new map is made.

My own philosophy on this has always been: If an update does not make major changes to the map code, there is no reason to make a new map. People complain about there being too many buildings/too few resources - use Multi-verse or a similar plug in (like Transporter) to make an offshoot world for mining/settling. Been on plenty of servers that have made that work (indeed, one such server only got rid of its oldest map when the biome list changed in 1.0).

That said, I think the only major change this time is to the Nether map code - so that may require a new Nether map ..... again. Though, the same idea as I stated above can work for Nether maps as well: Use Multi-verse or a similar plug in to make an offshoot nether map and cross link it in, that way no one has to redig their transport tunnels.
Back to top Go down
Novah11
Paper Boy

PostSubject: Re: Rumor of a new map.....................   Rumor of a new map..................... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 6:42 pm

I can see the advantages to new map vs keeping the old, but personally the abandoned stuff doesn't bother me as much as it does others. One of the best things about exploring an old map is coming across other people's builds, whether it's a gigantic castle or just an overnight camp. I fly around on singleplayer once in awhile and get bored very quickly... game-generated villages and temples all start to look the same after awhile. As for those who want to start new... "#2. Some people are simply bored of this map and are looking forward to a fresh start. I can tell them to move somewhere far away and start anew, but there's no way for me to force them. " --- well that is their problem! Pack up and move, I say! Wink
Back to top Go down
viperhawk2k4
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Rumor of a new map.....................   Rumor of a new map..................... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 9:46 pm

Dev, i have an idea..... as far as i know, me and vasteel are the only ones out so far from spawn, i left a message for him tto see what he thinks. neither of us are really very far, where we could demolish the build and get oour materials. im thinking since its roughly 18000 on each side of map, and you cant back it up, maybe drop it down to say 10k? and do a test to see if it saves? just an idea among many. as we talked earlier, just give us enough time to collect our things, and materials and i dont see a problem with shrinking the map to save it. it makes more sence than going to a new map.
but im rambling now so ill end this post.

thanxs for the forum to vioce my opinion when offline. Smile
Back to top Go down
BlackyBear00
Paper Boy
BlackyBear00

PostSubject: Re: Rumor of a new map.....................   Rumor of a new map..................... I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 5:16 pm

I think that with the way everyone feels about this we should do it the democratic way and vote in a new thread with the vote ending some time like a week after the thread is posted. It would be the fairest way to decide . Though im lm hoping that if there is a new map that we at least get to bring a house with our stuff in it so that we arnt starting frome the ground up.
Back to top Go down
BlackyBear00
Paper Boy
BlackyBear00

PostSubject: Re: Rumor of a new map.....................   Rumor of a new map..................... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 7:49 pm

I hope we can decide this soon because its kinda hard to start a new project with the uncertanty that the work wil be for nothing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rumor of a new map.....................   Rumor of a new map..................... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rumor of a new map.....................
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Announcements. :: Comments and Suggestions.-
Jump to: